Our Sock KAL site - come join us!

We're doing it. Knit-A-Long with us and the "Need A Sock?" book .



Your two KAL guides will be Deb Gemmell and Brenda Harris.






Sunday, December 5, 2010

It's not working!
The wool is just too stripey to show the Lace Cable pattern well. That may be why it was abandoned at the bottom of my sock stash box in the first place. I thought maybe it needed a bigger pattern. But then I had another idea, what if I had a pattern on top!!
Yes, this is definitely going to work. And it's a 6 st repeating pattern, yay, which will fit into the Fancy Sock set-up. All I had to do was make the pattern which is written for working back and forth into a pattern for 'in the round'. This is the Quilted Lattice pattern from A Treasury of Knitting Patterns by Barbara G. Walker, pg. 102 (the blue book).
Here it is 'in the round':
R1:  *YO, K5, YO, K1;
R2:  *drop the yo, SL1, K4, drop the yo, SL1;
R3-5:  *SL1, K4, SL1;
R6:  *drop the slipped st to front of work, K2, pick up dropped slipped st and knit it, slip next 2 sts over to Right needle, drop next slipped st to front of work, slip the 2 sts from Right needle back onto Left needle, pick up dropped st and knit it, K2;
R7:  *K2, [YO, K1] twice, K2;
R8:  *K2, [drop yo, SL1] twice, K2;
R9-11:  *K2, SL2, K2;
R12:  *slip next 2 sts over to Right needle, drop next slipped st to front of work, slip 2 sts from Right needle back onto Left needle, pick up dropped st and knit it, K2, drop next slipped st to front of work, K2, pick up dropped st and knit it;

I'm pretty sure I have this written out correctly but let me know if it's not. It's working for me.
You'll feel so adventurous when you drop those stitches and pick them up again. Risky knitting, yikes, but the yo make the slipped stitches very stable. You also have to work a YO at the beginning of each double pointed needle but don't worry if they fall off because you drop them in the next row anyway. Is that just perfect or what?!

I'm so excited to get going on this pattern. It totally fits the hand dyed wool.
-Deb

1 comment:

  1. I've ordered all 4 B. Walker Treasuries from Schoolhouse Press as a Xmas present for myself. What a genius!

    ReplyDelete